This week my blog topic is all about Grendel, throughout
the entire novel I have been curious to see how Grendel balances out the drgaon’s
theories and his own desires. At the beginning of the novel Grendel was
intrigued by becoming a part of man’s society. He was obsessed with the Shaper’s
philosophies on how man was created and how humans interpret God. The human’s interpretation
on God is also a major aspect on how Grendel fits but doesn’t fit in with
humans. This book I think is written to completely show the negative side of
Humans which is really similar to the way Beowulf is written to
scrutinize monsters, and I was wondering is there a medium where monsters and
humans can be equal? Is there also a way that the Dragon’s theories can be
applied to the philosophies of humans?
So one of the main criticisms within the novel is that man
lacks the ability to understand morals and is over all cruel, Grandel comments
on how “not even wolves are that cruel to each other,” I find this a little
ironic because Grandel kills humans for fun and is an offspring to God’s true
creation of evil (Cain is evil because he killed his brother). Aren’t humans
exhibiting evil qualities by going and raiding and pillaging each other’s clans
and towns? I’m also interested in the fact that Grandel is the first creature
in the story to establish an official belief system and man comes in and says
he is wrong and that he is evil for being different. Before Grandel has his
encounter with the dragon, he is superior to human, he has an established language, he can think for
himself, he knows the hierarchy of life, but once he talks with the dragon he
loses all of those things and submits to being second to humans and the dragon.
Grendel’s evolution cycle is backwards compared to men. Grendel starts out intellectual
and moral but then progressively loses those morals as humans evolve into more
moralistic creatures. I also found it interesting how humans establish the word
of God and they are supposed to be divine creatures when they were created also
out of evil.
What makes man fear Grendel the first time they see him?
Where does the fear stem from in the beginning? I don’t like how Grendel is so
willing to join their society and they fear him automatically because he is
different. Is it because he is different and new that he is accepted? I was more
attracted to agreeing with the dragons theories because they are completely
true even when looking at society today, because of the corruption and the lack
of morals today. I feel like we haven’t evolved that much in theory we still
are scared of the uncertain but we have updated our beliefs on what is evil and
what is not. I think today’s society is a great example of the balance between monsters
and man because we all have a little bit of Grendel in us and we all stay close
to our roots.
No comments:
Post a Comment