For the first week back to AP Lit our class’s main focus has
been Poetry! Yay! Poetry out of all the subjects in literature is by far my
favorite, there are so many theories and ideas that each poet displays in their
poems, and I love diversity and the unpredictability that poems present. With
so many ideas and concepts that must be followed when reading poetry often
mislead students into having negative feelings toward the poetry unit, but when
you think of each poem as puzzle I believe it makes it a bit easier to piece
together the poet’s feelings and image that he/she wants to portray. Through
the industrialization of the world, the is need for an outlet of emotion and
beauty and throughout time poetry has allowed writers to thrive and create
beauty that almost everyone can relate to, this is what attracts me to poetry.
Throughout my life music has been very important and reading poetry to me is
like reading out song lyrics, when reading a poem I try to find a the best instrumental
music that correctly portrays the poets tone, mood, and overall emotion toward
the moment in time he/she is writing about.
The whole focus of my blog this week is making it known that
students can learn to like poetry. I promise its bark is far worse than its
bite, coming from a high school senior I have had my fair share of moaning and
groaning about poetry, but when you get into your fourth year of learning about
poetry it kind of grows on you. Now I am so intrigued at that fact that our
class is going to spending so much time on poetry. Compared to some the units
first semester, I’m glad we have finally started poetry. Our teacher has given
our class really good tips when it comes to analyzing poetry, which was also a
major help when writing our first timed writing. What I also noticed with these
tips was that they don’t only really apply to poetry they can help when reading
other literary material.
So tip number one to analyzing poetry look for the obvious:
find the easys- punctuation goes along way when analyzing poetry, it is one of
the most over looked things, punctuation can completely change the way a poem
can be read. It can also give indication that the poet meant to use the
structure of the poem to portray the tone and mood of the poem. Tip number two:
make sure you always come up with strong questions about the poem before
jumping into analyzing it, this really help when identifying the moment in time
that the poet is writing about. Tip number three: Look for repetition and reoccurring
images, this can help the reader determine the poet’s main opinion and tone
toward his or her topic. Finally tip number four: look for the life moment the
poet wants to focus on and make sure you know his or her tone toward the
moment, this makes finding a “so what” so much easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment